Here's to You, Rachel Robinson

by Judy Blume

Rachel Robinson is a straight-A student and is often referred to by other people especially her friends as 'genius' or 'perfect'. But ever since her brother Charles came back from his school because he was expelled, she's now referred to by him as 'the child prodigy'.

Rachel knows that Charles would mean trouble at home and that he would be a big obstacle to her. When he finally comes home, things at the Robinson's residence swerved to a change: Mom and Dad is having a hard time with Charles, Jess is struggling to battle Charles' insults regarding her severe cystic acne and Rachel - well she's more than irritated as Jess is.

But at the least good thing, her brother brought some benefits: he's having a tutor come by at the Robinsons who becomes Rachel's new crush, and having ninth grader Jeremy Dragon around.

When things start to change, surprises pop up: Jess got a job in Mrs. Hirsch's travel agency whose daughter was Steph, one of Rachel's best friends. She's hired to work despite the fact that most companies won't hire her due to her physical appearance. Not only does the story revolve around Rachel, but also with the people around her. Then there's Tarren, Rachel's cousin, who happens to be a single mother with her child Roddy. And having her around brings something to Rachel which she didn't expect.

There are funny points in this story. I loved and hated its concept. There was a scene where Charles wanted to change his last name back to its origin. It was hilarious when he recited a poem in the Ellis Island (a place where the Robinson's ancestors landed from Poland) and people were starting to stare at him like some balderdash moron.

Rating: 4 1/2 stars
- I admired Rachel's straight-A personality. Since I am an obedient student like her I know how it feels, although she's an almost perfect student while I'm a desperate-math-moron. I also saw myself in her shoes when it comes to dealing with family problems. Although this book wasn't focused on the three girls unlike in Just As Long As We're Together, this was a good story you cannot pass up.

When I have read this book it made me think of the true value of family. Charles' character struck me the most because it was his who made a big impact on me. We were alike in some ways that I am being considered as a pain in the neck of the family (okay, so much for the drama). I could truly say I fell in love with this book and it was wonderful! Judy Blume has made it very comfortable for me to read and by the end of the book, I craved for more of it. I recommend this book to you if you're wondering how life turns around with someone almost as perfect as Rachel.

0 comments:

The Bookworm

My photo
21 years old. BS Interior Design. Bookworm. Computer-savvy and internet geek. Loves coffee crumble & Heath ice cream and feel good music. I blog about arts, culture, music, food and fashion.

Twitter

Currenly Reading

Currenly Reading
Enduring Love
by Ian McEwan

TO BE READ

  • The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks
  • Looking For Alaska by John Green
  • Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
  • In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella
  • The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks
  • Looking For Alaska by John Green

I'm giving away these books at Bookmooch.com!